On Friday I went to a small group gathering of Mahjong players in the "new club" I've joined this week. Remember the SEA group I joined?( Shanghai Expats Association) Anyway, my driver dropped me off in the wrong spot, okay he was one block off. I used my resources and found a non black haired person and asked if she spoke English and she did and she helped me locate my right location. This Mahjong group of ladies get together to play every Friday morning. I remember playing on the computer a few years ago and I thought it was pretty easy so I'd give it a try. Wrong! Not easy at all. The computer version I played and this Mahjong are totally different. It was a bit overwhelming and I wasn't sure I'd be back but a very nice lady from Michigan said she gave lessons out of her home and that it would take about 6 times before I felt I knew what I was doing. So I guess I will give that a try. At my table of 4 were ladies from Michigan, South Africa and the UK. Nice group and they had a lot of patience with me. I'm going to try it awhile before I give up and I'm not going to invest in the tiles (game) until I'm sure I can understand it.
I also looked up how much a average nurse makes here in Shanghai in case I wanted to pursue that potential job out there. They make about 15 RMB per hour. That equals about $2.70 per hour. Yikes! I don't think I'll commit to that.
Today Mark and I went to restaurant where they are known for their good hamburgers and they were good. Just kinda spendy. Then we walked around the area for a bit and also checked out a expat grocery store. Really spendy! I guess I will put up with the groceries from my Carreforre and only go to the expat store if I really need something I can't get from across the street. I didn't see any heads on anything but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay their prices just for that, or maybe I'm just getting used to seeing heads on food:)
No comments:
Post a Comment