Thursday, October 20, 2011

Antique Market

Today I met my friends at an Antique Market. This market was a couple of blocks long and had many street vendors. We were suppose to go on Friday but the forecast is rain and they would not be
open due to rain so we switched it to today. It is hard to really say what is really an antique but it was fun. My friends are good negotiators. I bought some "antique brushes" that they used for their calligraphy and paintings. There were so many different types to choose from, different colors, styles etc. Then I bought a wood plaque that is carved and supposed to be from the Ming dynasty. Well it is very old looking but hard to say when it was really made so I guess we can believe it really is 1000's of years old. I also bought an abacus in a case that I just thought was fun too. So you can see I'm trying to support the Chinese economy by buying their treasures.

After shopping we went for lunch and then checked out a French Fair in the French concession area. They had booths of breads, wines and cheese for sale. We were looking for samples but there weren't many.

Yesterday I went to a Mahjong class that a lady from Michigan was hosting. She lives in the Pudong area, one side of the river and I live in the Puxi area. Obviously the wrong side of the river. Her place was amazing with an amazing view of the Bund area. I wish I brought my camera. She lives on the 43rd floor and has lived here for 7 years. I could sit there and just looked out her windows at the river and buildings. She said the view at night with the lights is great. She is totally into Mahjong and teaches a few classes a week for fun. She has 3 special tables made, 3 kits and just loves to play. Its pretty incredible that she opens up her home like that for strangers for free.

Last evening Mark had a 3M recognition dinner that he attended after work. It was at a hot pot restaurant. Reminds me of fondue and like the Melting Pot in Mpls. The President of 3M China hosted the event and even acted as the bartender for awhile. Mark said the food was really good and the drinks were flowing.




No comments:

Post a Comment