Friday, September 30, 2011

Rainy days

The last couple of days here have been raining and very gloomy. The visibility with all the humidity tends to keep it pretty smoggy. All the Chinese people riding their bikes with rain gear on...I felt guilty for sitting in my dry car with my personal driver, but what could be better on a rainy day then some shopping. My new friend, Marleen, from Belgium is quite the shopper and has been here for 4 1/2 years. I was dropped off at her apartment complex and her driver took us around.

We first went to the Flower market. All sorts of beautiful fresh flowers and at a great price. I didn't buy anything there but if I had a talent for center pieces this would be fun. They also had fish for your fish tanks, furniture etc.

 We went to the Pearl Market. Wow, this place was huge and again a great bargain where your negotiating skills come in handy. They spoke a lot of English here so I think I could do okay. Here you could have your jewelry designed by a picture you might have seen in a magazine and have them make it for a lot less then in the US. I have never seen so many pearls in all of my life.  Might have to go back for some Christmas presents. On other floors they again have clothing that can be made. Also went to a shoe store where you can get custom shoes made. Again if you bring in a picture they will make it. Seems amazing. My friend and her husband have had many shoes made there. She said she had some shoes with high heels made there and could walk around all day with them on and it would feel like wearing tennis shoes. Hmm...

 We went out to lunch where many expats hang out. So the food was very good. It wasn't American food but it tasted great.

We also visited a expat grocery store. Yeah!!! Way more expensive but seeing all the "normal" food was pretty hopeful. This place actually follows expiration dates and had a American looking meat counter. It is funny what can make a person excited  about these days.




No comments:

Post a Comment