Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hair Cut

Hair cuts are always traumatic for me no matter where I am. I always wish I had different hair, can't fix it afterwards the same as the stylist etc. So I've been truly scared about getting a hair cut here. Mark was brave and got one a couple of weeks ago, but the man has no hair to start with so how bad can they screw that up? They didn't, it looked the same as always. So I've let mine grow longer then usual between cuts and then it finally got to the point I had to do something. So last evening Mark and I walked to a shop near our apartment. Different place from where Mark went, this one seemed more busy so I thought if it was popular with the locals must be good. Right?! Well, they spoke a little English and so off I went to get a shampoo. My favorite part usually but I couldn't relax as she would say something to me and I didn't have a clue. I kept nodding my head yes, because the water temperature was fine and the massage felt great...what else could she be asking me? Then I went to sit in a chair waiting for someone to come and cut my hair. Did I mention being stared at by everyone in the entire place the entire time. This is hard to get used to anyway but especially here where they were going to cut my hair...I get it, I don't have black hair, dark eyes and don't speak the language but quit staring at me all of the time!!! Anyway after struggling to communicate what I wanted done and even used the interpreter app on a phone he started cutting away. Not good! I know have a haircut I don't like. Way too many bangs and way too short in back so my cowlicks won't lay down. He also dried it so every hair on my head was coming forward...kinda like" Cousin It" but with bangs. Did he really think it looked good or was he trying to make me look bad?  Even thou I didn't know one single person there and probably will never see them again I couldn't walk out looking like that. I was breaking out in a sweat and just wanted to run out of there. I kinda fixed it before walking out of there  so I don't know if he was offended or not but I don't really care. So now I have to really grow my hair out and may not get it cut again until I get home to MN. I'm not sure if I can go through that again.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure it looks fine, we are our worst critics! I would really struggle with this aspect, one of the challenges I never even thought of with moving to another country. Love your blog, what amazing life experiences you are enduring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is a hairdresser and said you need to bring in a picture of what you want your hair to look like. It even helps when they speak English. :)

    I really enjoy reading all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete