Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cars and Drivers

Yesterday I was in a very, very minor traffic accident. Only took 6 months. I really have thought it would have occurred many times before this. This was so minor it took me awhile to realize we were actually bumped. It just felt like someone slammed the trunk really hard. Xiao Zhu and I were only about one block away from the hospital that I do some of my volunteer work. We were stopped at a light and actually were stopped for about one minute before the little bump. With all the crazy driving that goes on around here this was not a time I thought this would happen. I didn't say anything and just stayed in the car. Our driver Xiao Zhu calmly got out and talked with the other driver. Who came out of his car talking on his cell phone...figures. They only chatted briefly before the other driver handed over 100 RMB (which is less then $20). Xiao Zhu then got in the car and told me "it's okay" and then drove off. I wanted to say" wait tell me all about what went on there" but didn't. As I got of the car to go into the hospital I took a look at the bumper and couldn't see a thing. So what was the 100 RMB for? Do you have to report this? Is the money for a deductible or is our driver just going to pocket the money? So many questions and never will be any answers. I wonder if he knew that I saw the money exchange?
I later called Mark and explained what happened. I know the car is the drivers responsibility but I didn't know if Mark should question anybody about this...guess not.

My friends driver was in a fight last week. He dropped her off at a grocery store parking ramp on a Friday afternoon. When she came out with her bags, she called him and he answered stating that he was in the hospital as he was knocked down. She got a taxi to go home in and when they tried to find out what happened they received very little information. All that they could determine was that there was a fight, and it was all caught on camera and their driver was in the hospital for about one week as he needed some surgery on his head. They think they were fighting over a parking spot or something but will never know. They had substitute drivers all week and really missed their driver as they have had him for about 5 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment